Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chicago Half Marathon

I wanted to complete the 13.1 mile course at a pace between 8:00 and 8:30 per mile. I kept to an 8:00 per mile pace over the first 8 miles. After I slowed down to slam Gatorade at an aid station past mile 8, my quadriceps felt leaden and my pace slowed. I finished in 1:50:21, for a pace of 8:25 per mile, placing 286th out of 1,116 male runners aged 30-34.

I biked 17 miles to get to the race. I would have run a little faster had I driven.

For two weeks before the race a lower back injury prevented me from running with completely upright posture. I was hungover during the last long run I did. Until the muscle fatigue dominated my consciousness, I relished the absence of pain caused by a hangover or back injury.

Local bands were situated every couple of miles along the course. Around mile 10 three Asian guys and a white drummer were playing proggy metal. A mile later a pretty girl with an acoustic band was covering Waterfalls by TLC. Michael Jackson's best stuff was being played on sound systems all over the course. The music made me want to spend energy even though I was dog tired.

No comments: